1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my device rooted?..................

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smartphones' started by susie hartman, 22 May 2013.

1. susie hartman

susie hartman New Geek

Hello, I need help. My Samsung GT19100, Galaxy Sii has a problem. The App Adilko for which I have payed Premium and also Adilko Sync addition, askes me if the device is rooted.
    This is when I try to get boroughed librarybookes downloaded to it. It worked once on the free additions.
    When it did not work now, I payed for the real stuff, and still I get this question.
    What does it mean? What can I do?
  2. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Active Geek

Advert
    "Rooting" is a way of allowing you or programs elevated privileges or in other words to do stuff that the operating system designers prevent you from doing for safety's sake or maybe to prevent you from making changes they don't want you to make such as remove the built in applications and so on. "Rooting" is actually replacing the operating system's "kernel" with a modified one and once "rooted" you can do anything (programatically speaking) you like to a device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_rooting

If you didn't do anything to "root" it then your device is almost certainly not "rooted". It is something you would have to make special efforts to do. For all but the most techy of geeks the risks of "rooting" would usually outweigh the benefits. If you set about "rooting" your device you could make a mistake that would render it useless (you could "brick" it... i.e. turn it into a useless brick!). Also remember that once rooted your phone won't be standard any more and might not get official updates and you may well have invalidated any warranty.

If after all that you really want to root your phone there are instructions all over the web (here for example: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...-root-official-android412-xwlss-jellybean.htm) but I would not recommend that you try and I will certainly not be able to help you do it (or rescue it if something went wrong).

Alas, the Play Store listing for the app you mentioned does say it only works on rooted devices so you will not be able to make it work on an unrooted phone.
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Active Geek

I wouldn't bother rooting my phones any more. I have a Droid Bionic that I rooted, and I could never get the official OTA updates to it to fix some serious issues it has with dropping my data connections repeatedly. I had to bring it into the store to have them look at it and they ended up having to replace my phone. I didn't tell them that I rooted it though since I figured that's what had caused the issue.
  4. amusicsite

amusicsite dn ʎɐʍ sᴉɥ┴ Staff Member

Rooting your phone can make it not work well, but if done right can be fine. Probably best to get someone who had successfully done it before to help if you are not sure what you are doing. Also don't do it if you really need your phone and can't afford to replace it if it goes wrong.
  5. Einstein

Einstein Regular Geek

Never ever saw the benefits of rooting in the first place. They said that it could open up a lot of features for your phone. But what features? Appearance? Well, no thanks. In rooting, there's always a chance that the phone would get "bricked" in which it would be unusable. If there's an app that needs a rooted phone, my advice is that you search for a similar/alternative app instead.
  6. amusicsite

amusicsite dn ʎɐʍ sᴉɥ┴ Staff Member

The only reason I would like to root my phone is to take off the crapware you get preinstalled which you can't remove and drains resources.